Grade 6 Mathematics
Listed below are the five units that are going to be covered over the course the year. Many of these topics build upon previously learned concepts and will continue to be developed throughout the middle school years.
Unit 1: The Number System
• Compute fluently with multi-digit numbers and find common factors and multiples.
• Apply and extend previous understandings of multiplication and division to divide fractions by fractions.
• Apply and extend previous understandings of numbers to the system of rational numbers.
Unit 2: Ratios and Proportional Relationships
• Understand ratio concepts and use ratio reasoning to solve problems.
Unit 3: Expressions and Equations
• Apply and extend previous understandings of arithmetic to algebraic expressions.
• Reason about and solve one-variable equations and inequalities.
• Represent and analyze quantitative relationships between dependent and independent variables.
Unit 4: Geometry
• Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving area, surface area, and volume.
Unit 5: Statistics and Probability
• Develop understanding of statistical variability.
• Summarize and describe distributions.