Collaborative & Out of class support
In collaborative classes, the classroom teacher and special education teacher:
Work together to create a comfortable learning environment for all students.
Differentiate instruction to meet the needs of all learners.
Modify lessons based on all student needs.
Implement goals and objectives in each student's IEP.
Utilize small group instruction to pre-teach, re-teach, and review content in all areas.
Support curriculum in Reading, Writing, and Math.
Assist students in developing study skills and critical thinking skills.
- Teach students to use graphic organizers and other manipulatives effectively.
The special education teacher:
- Uses the Orton-Gillingham Reading system to strengthen decoding and encoding skills during the out-of-class word study class.
- Modifies pace, tests, and instructional strategies during pull-out resource room math.
- Modifies tests, organizers, and worksheets in the collaborative classes.
- Provides individual and small group instruction in the collaborative classes.
- Provides after school support, as needed.