Click on the Link to view the updated Approved Food List
Updated Food List
Holiday Parties and Food Allergies Protocol
Any classroom with student’s who have food allergies, such as peanuts,tree nuts, sesame seeds, diary, egg,fruit, wheat or who follow a gluten-free diet are to observe the following guidelines:
ALL FOOD ITEMS BROUGHT INTO AN ALLERGY CLASSROOM MUST BE PRE-APPROVED BY THE NURSE
1.For snacks: please do not send in any items containing peanuts or tree nuts (hazelnuts, almonds, walnuts, pecans, or cashews) This is necessary because some students with peanut allergies may have a reaction if they touch an object (desk or computer) with nut or peanut residue (cross contamination). If a peanut item is sent in the student will have to eat snack in the health office.
2.For classroom celebrations/ birthday parties: Dorchester School is instituting an approved snack list. These items are the only food items permitted for any party or celebration. If any other food item is sent in IT WILL BE RETURNED!
NO CAKE, CUPCAKES, DONUTS, COOKIES, OR CANDY IS PERMITTED
3. Certain students have allergies to fruit please double check with your classroom teacher before sending in fruit.
4. Please stress to your child the importance of not sharing snacks with other children in their classroom. Many children who have a food allergy reaction have accidentally eaten food from a friend.
5. Some snack items are made in plants that also manufacture peanuts. This warning is uaually at the bottom of the ingredient list please check carefully for this warning before sending items into these classrooms.
6. The lunchroom has a peanut free table and if your child is chosen to sit there he/she must have a peanut free lunch on that day.
WHEN IN DOUBT ABOUT A FOOD CHOICE PLEASE FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THE FOOD ALLERGY PARENT TO DOUBLE CHECK.
NO DONUTS, CAKES, CUPCAKES, CANDY OR COOKIES ARE PERMITTED
1. All snacks must have no more than 8 grams of total fat per serving, and no more than 2 grams of saturated fat per serving. Sugar cannot be the first ingredient.
2. All beverages shall not exceed 12 ounces except water or milk containing 2% or less fat