Facts about Learning Disabilities:
The most common learning disabilities are difficulties with basic reading and language skills
- A learning disability may be inherited
- A learning disability affects girls as frequently as they do boys
- Children do not outgrow or get cured of a learning disability
- Children can be successful in learning and in life with support and intervention
A Learning Disability is not:
The same as mental retardation, autism, hearing or visual impairments, physical disabilities, emotional disorders, or the normal process of learning a second language.
Attention disorders -Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
* A learning disability often occurs at the same time as an attentional disorder, however, they are not the same.
A learning disability is not caused by a lack of educational opportunities, for example: poor school attendance, frequently changing schools, or lack of instruction in basic skills.