Hi, my name is Mr. Offerjost and I am thrilled to be teaching social studies at Dorchester Elementary School. I’m excited to be part of an educational community known for its commitment to education and children’s experience in the classroom.
When someone hears “social studies”, they may think it is only the study of “history” – but it is so much more than that. Social Studies is the study of human society, from geography to economics to politics and more. It opens the door to new cultures, amazing real-life stories, and a better understanding of who we are and what our goals are as individuals and a community.
In my classroom, the goal is to help students gain a better understanding of the world around them (and what came before them); skills that will allow them to recognize and analyze their environment both inside and outside the classroom (i.e., utilizing maps, how to identify and read a primary source); and finally, to share my love for social studies that will hopefully drive students to want to explore and learn well into the future.
Fun Facts about Me!
1) I am an Eagle Scout!
2) I play the trumpet and french horn!
3) I played college hockey at Rutgers University!
4) I have a wonderful 3-year-old daughter and newborn son!
5) In my free time I like to research and create reproduction historic objects, I am currently making an 18thcentury powder horn!
6) I love the winter and the cold!